Tuesday 21 June 2011

The sounds of Bon Iver

Every time I listen to Bon Iver's music a deep 'halo' of nostalgia and melancholy surrounds me.
Their music has always had a strange effect on me that puts me into a strange mood of feeling some kind of longing but also makes me feel so peaceful inside and gives me a nice sense of hope and light.
'Bon Iver', his latest album released on the 20th of june, wasn't the exception and I think this time the effect was deeper and now I can't stop listening to what I consider now as Masterpiece.
Why? It seems that every single song of the album was cleverly thought as not only the lyrics go beyond their words but also because the blend of a broad range of instruments fuses with the nostalgic Justin Vernon's voice, leader of the band.
From lush horns, violins, saxophones to strange sounds and whispers, Bon Iver's second cut is an outstanding album full of diversity and what you can really call an eclectic indie album.
His first single, Calgary, talks about a mourning love that seems to reflect what an impossible love means
Songs like Lisbon, OH, Hinnom, Tx and Minnesota, WI have the name of different american cities in which Bon Iver dedicates their compositions.
The album, which is the third album from the american based band, also includes the uplifting Towers and the nostalgic Wash.
'Bon Iver/ It came after the acclaimed For Emma, Forever Ago, released in 2008 in which the lead single 'Skinny love' make an incredible breakthrough in the United Kingdom. Even new talents like Birdy made their own piano version.

At the end, Bon Iver's music can make you feel either happy or sad, I guess this depends on the way you see things, for me...both feelings arise within myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment